Guidelines for EdSource Commentaries
EdSource welcomes and encourages commentaries representing diverse points of view focusing on topics related to California education policy and reform. We have drawn up the following guidelines to help those wishing to submit a commentary to EdSource. These guidelines are intended to clarify what we have in mind, not to discourage any prospective authors. We also encourage you福彩app是正规的吗 to check out from the New York Times.
What topics are suitable for a commentary?
As you福彩app是正规的吗 will see from our website, we are interested in commentaries representing a wide range of views and on a wide range of topics. We are especially interested in commentaries that relate to reforms currently underway – or that you福彩app是正规的吗 feel should be underway – in California and nationally. In particular, we encourage commentaries that have a strong California angle. Commentaries that appear designed to promote a product, business, or organization, or do so excessively, will not be accepted.
How long should the commentary be?
Commentaries should be no longer than 750 words.
What is the format for submitting a commentary?
Please submit the commentary as a Word document, double spaced. At the end of the commentary, please insert you福彩app是正规的吗r name and title, with a brief description of you福彩app是正规的吗r organization. It should be no longer than two sentences, as in this example.
Who should I contact about a commentary?
If you福彩app是正规的吗 are interested in submitting a commentary, you福彩app是正规的吗 can run you福彩app是正规的吗r idea first by Smita Patel, who is coordinating commentaries for EdSource. Or, if you福彩app是正规的吗 already have a draft ready, please send it to her directly. Click here to email.
Who is the audience for the commentary?
Because of our broad audience, we strive to ensure that all content published by EdSource is clear and accessible to a wide range of readers. One of EdSource’s principal goals for many years has been to “clarify complex education issues” for policymakers, education leaders and the general public. Commentaries should do that as well, and should be written to reach the average reader with an above-average interest in education. Someone should be able to read the commentary all the way through one time, and be able to understand it.
Who is responsible for fact checking?
It is the responsibility of the author or authors to check submissions to ensure 100 percent accuracy in facts and figures, assertions regarding education reforms, spelling of names, dates, and titles of any persons referred to in the articles.
Should I include hyperlinks in my submission?
Yes, definitely. In Word documents, by highlighting the text to be hyperlinked, hitting Control or Command K, and inserting the link. Links should be inserted to provide back up for assertions in the commentary, to refer readers to legislation mentioned, or to provide more details on something you福彩app是正规的吗 have referred to. However, links should never be used as a way out of explaining clearly in the body of the text what you福彩app是正规的吗 are trying to say.
What is the editing process?
All commentaries will go through EdSource’s normal process for editing.
We try to respond to submissions in a timely fashion. However, EdSource does not have a full-time opinion page editor like many large news organizations. As a result, you福彩app是正规的吗 may not get an immediate response to you福彩app是正规的吗r submission. We value you福彩app是正规的吗r work, will read it closely, and do detailed editing, if needed, as soon as time permits at our end.
We may ask you福彩app是正规的吗 to rework or revise you福彩app是正规的吗r submission. Our goal in editing is not to change you福彩app是正规的吗r opinion or argument as expressed in the commentary, but to ensure clarity and make it accessible and understandable to the widest possible audience. In making changes to a piece, we will strive to keep the style and point of view of the author. However, we retain final editing decisions for clarity and brevity. We will share our changes with the writer before publication.
Do you福彩app是正规的吗 have any tips that will help me write my commentary?
- Make a clear argument, and argue it all the way through to the end of you福彩app是正规的吗r commentary. Think about stating you福彩app是正规的吗r point early on in the piece—either in the first paragraph, or somewhere in the first several paragraphs. Avoid stating what may be common knowledge.
- In general, try not to make too many points in the same piece. Think through very carefully: 1) the main point you福彩app是正规的吗 want to leave the reader with, and 2) any other information you福彩app是正规的吗 will need to support that point.
- However technical the issue you福彩app是正规的吗 are addressing, state high up in you福彩app是正规的吗r commentary why the reader should care about the point you福彩app是正规的吗 are making and what impact that issue or concern will have on real people – students, teachers, parents, etc.
- Try to use a conversational style. Include real people – the human face – whenever possible.
- The first sentence is arguably the most important sentence in you福彩app是正规的吗r entire commentary. It is what will engage readers and determine whether they will continue to read the piece. For that reason, make it as engaging and interesting as possible.
- In general the first sentence should not have a lot of facts and figures or names of programs. Try to stick to the substance of you福彩app是正规的吗r commentary. Get to the facts and figures later, once you福彩app是正规的吗 have hooked the reader. Avoid stating the obvious in the first sentence e.g., “Everyone knows that…” or “All schools are implementing the new standards.”
- Instead of acronyms, either write out what they stand for, or even better, write around them. (For example, instead of “LCFF,” say “the new school funding law;” for LCAP: the district’s accountability plan.)
- Avoid sweeping statements and generalities. This is especially the case when it comes to making assertions about California, with its 1,000 school districts and 10,000 schools.
- If you福彩app是正规的吗 accuse any individual, organization, school, or district of wrongdoing, malfeasance, incompetence, or abuse, you福彩app是正规的吗 need to make sure you福彩app是正规的吗 have evidence to back up you福彩app是正规的吗r assertion – and to cite it.
- Be generous in you福彩app是正规的吗r use of hyperlinks so that readers can get more details, or find back-up information for you福彩app是正规的吗r assertions. However, hyperlinks do not substitute for explaining terms or concepts.
- If you福彩app是正规的吗r commentary is accepted for publication, you福彩app是正规的吗 will need to provide a high resolution image of the author(s), ideally a headshot at least 600 px in width.
- While we understand that many commentaries are created through a process of collaboration, we do expect that the primary author of the piece is the person whose name is in the byline.
We look forward to hearing from you福彩app是正规的吗. If you福彩app是正规的吗 have any questions, please contact福彩app是正规的吗.